Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Forgetfulness

While I still consider myself to be VERY young, and by no means old or over-the-hill, my brain just doesn't seem to function like it used to and my memory is getting worse and worse.  I'll find myself writing notes just to remember the simplest of things, and in conversations with Hubby, I tend to forget what I was going to say, even as I start to say it!  I'll think of something I need to do around the house and then walk into a room and think, "What did I come in here for again?"  I'll have to walk back out, sit down and think back to why I was on my way in there in the first place.

The other day I misplaced my cell phone.  I was at my office and I searched high and low, but couldn't find it anywhere.  I looked in and around my desk, on top of file cabinets, in my purse, even in the bathroom.  I went downstairs and searched my truck floorboards, behind the seats, and still no luck.  I thought, okay, I know I had it with me because I've been using the darn thing all morning!  Where could it be?

I used the phone from the office to call my cell number and I could hear it ringing faintly, but still couldn't find it.  I followed the ringing from one side of the office to the other, down and back up the stairs.  I could hear it, but couldn't quite track it down.  Guess where it was!  The back pocket of my jeans!  Oh for Heaven's sake.

I know I'm not alone in my lack of remembering though.  Just the other day, Hubby bought a part for the toilet at the hardware store, brought it home, set it somewhere and then got sidetracked.  Later when he went to fix the toilet and needed the part, he couldn't find it anywhere.  He searched the whole house, his Jeep, the front and back porches, the barn.  He even called me at work to see if I might have inadvertently picked it up and brought it with me.  No such luck.  I told him to trace his steps and relax, he'd eventually find it.

Frustrated, he was just about to go back to the hardware store when he opened the fridge door and there was the part, sitting on the shelf next to the milk.  Good grief!  Silly boy.  And I can't tell you how many times he calls me on the phone and then immediately forgets why he called me in the first place.  We just have too much on our minds, I guess, and I think as you get older, your brain shrinks and just can't fit all the information in there like it used to.

My Prampa is 97 years young and he can remember things like they happened yesterday!  He tells me story after story and remembers names, dates and places in vivid detail.  I don't know why I haven't taken after him in the memory department.  At the rate I'm going now, I'll be lucky if I remember my own name by the time I turn the big five-o!  Of course, that's many, many, many years away.  (wink wink)

Maybe I'll find me some magical vitamins that enhance brain function I can start taking.  It can't hurt, right?  I'll head over to Walgreens on my lunch break today and see what they offer.  Now, where did I put my car keys. . . . .

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you!! Yesterday, I spent 30 minutes waiting in the car line for Campbell. When he didn't show up, I remembered that he was a bus rider.

    ReplyDelete